Composite bonding has become an increasingly popular cosmetic dentistry treatment option in Calgary. It is a quick and cost-effective way to improve the appearance of teeth that are chipped, misshapen, discoloured or have gaps. Composite bonding involves the application of a tooth-coloured resin material to the tooth surface, which is then shaped and polished to look natural.
While composite bonding is a fantastic solution for many patients, people have a common question before they decide to undergo the treatment – does composite bonding stain? This is a valid concern for patients looking to invest in their dental health and appearance.
Understanding the long-term impact of composite bonding and whether it will require maintenance is essential. Staining or discolouring composite bonding can negatively affect the teeth’ overall look and undermine the treatment’s benefits.
What are the benefits of composite bonding?
Composite bonding is a cosmetic dental procedure that has become increasingly popular due to its numerous benefits. Here are some of the key advantages of composite bonding:
- Improves appearance: Composite bonding can improve the appearance of teeth that are chipped, cracked, stained, or misshapen. It can also be used to fill in gaps between teeth or reshape them.
- Cost-effective: Composite bonding is more cost-effective than other cosmetic dental procedures, such as porcelain veneers or dental crowns.
- Minimally invasive: The composite bonding process is minimally invasive, meaning it does not require removing a significant amount of tooth structure. This can make it a good option for people who want to improve the appearance of their teeth without undergoing more extensive dental work.
- Quick and easy: Composite bonding can typically be completed in just one dental appointment, and the results are immediate.
- Customizable: Composite bonding can be customized to match the color of the surrounding teeth, making it look natural and seamless.
- Durable: Composite bonding is durable and can last for several years with proper care and maintenance.
Does composite bonding stain?
Composite bonding is a cosmetic dental procedure that involves applying a tooth-coloured composite resin material to the surface of the teeth to improve their appearance. Composite bonding is generally resistant to staining but not completely stain-proof. Here are some factors that can affect the staining of composite bonding:
- Poor oral hygiene: Poor oral hygiene can lead to the buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth, which can cause the composite bonding material to stain over time.
- Dark-coloured foods and drinks: Dark-colored foods and drinks such as coffee, tea, red wine, and berries can stain composite bonding material over time if consumed frequently.
- Smoking: Smoking can cause the composite bonding material yellow or darken over time.
- Age: Composite bonding material can become discoloured due to wear and tear.
To minimize staining, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing regularly and to avoid consuming dark-coloured foods and drinks or using tobacco products.
Regular dental cleanings and checkups to your Calgary dentist can help remove surface stains and keep the composite bonding looking bright and clean. Call us at 403-249-0382 (Shaganappi) or 403-278-4322 (Southland Tower) to book an appointment.